Review for Carry On by Rainbow Rowell


This review may contain spoilers-----

Summary of the Book based from Goodreads:

Simon Snow is the worst chosen one who’s ever been chosen.

That’s what his roommate, Baz, says. And Baz might be evil and a vampire and a complete git, but he’s probably right.

Half the time, Simon can’t even make his wand work, and the other half, he sets something on fire. His mentor’s avoiding him, his girlfriend broke up with him, and there’s a magic-eating monster running around wearing Simon’s face. Baz would be having a field day with all this, if he were here—it’s their last year at the Watford School of Magicks, and Simon’s infuriating nemesis didn’t even bother to show up.


Carry On is a ghost story, a love story, a mystery and a melodrama. It has just as much kissing and talking as you’d expect from a Rainbow Rowell story—but far, far more monsters.

Opinion:

I choose this book out of curiosity and I'm glad I did. I heard so many great things about this book. I recently started getting into reading again and this made my TBR. I really like the spin on what Rainbow Rowell thought about the world of the Harry Potter series through her mind ! I enjoyed the many laughs from Simon and Baz and how mesmerized I was each of the characters. There were conflicts between characters with Simon and Baz roommates along with Baz's feeling towards Simon. There were many friendships forged between Penelope and Simon, Penelope and Agatha, Simon and Ebb. I truly feel that this book input one of my favorite supernaturals (vampires and of wizards) that made me enjoy the book even more. 

This book was set maybe in our modern time 21st century,  since cell phones were include in the storyline. I felt that the storyline created conflicts where the Mage decided it was a good idea to take phone away from the students at Watford. I felt this book was trying to convey a young adult version of middle school world of Harry Potter. This is definitely a YA book with aspects of fantasy, of course. 

Since this is the first book I have read from Rainbow Rowell, I'm not sure what to compare it with expect wit h JK Rowling's Harry Potter Series. 

Conclusion:

Overall, I have the other books such as Fangirl, Eleanor and Park, Landline, The Attachments by Rainbow Rowell sitting in my library TBR waiting to be read and I cannot wait to dive into each one. I would highly recommend reading this book because it tells a story that is unlikely and shows unpredictability in it's midst.


Comments